Congratulations, you made it to the end of the week! (And hopefully Friday the 13th wasn’t too bad.) Wondering what to do this weekend?
Here are five things not to miss.
1. Artist in Residence Reception at Thunder Bay Arts Council & Gallery, Friday 5/13 from 5:30 pm- 7:00 pm. Come meet & greet with June Perry, TBAC’s newest Artist in Residence. If you can’t come to the reception, make sure to stop by to check out her oil paintings that will be on view in the gallery through May and June. This event is free. Also, refreshments.
2. 12 Angry Men at Alpena Civic Theatre, Friday and Saturday at 7:30 pm, Sunday Matinee at 2 pm. Written by Reginald Rose and directed by Carol Rundell. Based on the classic 1957 movie starring Harry Fonda about twelve men who must decide the fate of one man on trial for murder. Don’t make these men angrier. Get your tickets now. Showtimes also available May 19-22.
3. First outdoor Farmer’s Market of the season! Saturdays from 8 am- 1 pm. Fresh fruits & veggies, eggs, meats, breads, coffee and more! Officially moving to its summer location behind City Hall. Come support local Alpena area farmers & artisans! (Not hungry? Pick up some fresh flowers for you or someone you love).
4. Bloody Mary Bar at the Fresh Palate, Saturdays from 9 am- 3 pm. Bloody Marys with all the works, Fresh P style. Rumor has it they’ve also put up their outdoor seating… Make a day of it and come back for live music, happening every Saturday evening.
5. Extended summer hours at Thunder Bay Winery, now open Friday and Saturdays from 11 am- 10 pm and Sundays from 12- 6pm. It’s been a long week. Treat yourself. Also make sure to try the newly released semi-dry Traminette, a perfect white wine for a spring evening (or afternoon).
And one more musical addition that definitely needs to be added…
6. The Roots of Folk, Rock, and Blues at the Alpena Public Library, Sunday at 2 pm. A FREE concert by the duo Side by Side featuring acoustic guitar, harmonica, and vocals. Join them on a musical tour of the three genres at this FREE concert. Fun for all ages, so bring the fam! (Thank you to Barbara Kett for alerting me of this event).
Blog Downtown Alpena is created and written by Anne Gentry in conjunction with the Alpena Downtown Development Authority. See anything I missed? Message me here. Also, like the page while you’re at it.