Attention all chefs: registration for the fourth annual Chowder & Chili Cook-off is live!
The event this year is planned for Saturday, October 14, 2017 from 12-5 pm. Based on feedback the DDA Promotions Committee has received, there are going to be some changes this year to make the event bigger and better than ever, including:
- A chili division
- Change of location from Culligan Plaza to Second Avenue from Chisholm to River
- Multiple groups offering live music throughout the day
- Extended time from 12-5 pm
- Local beer & wines from Huron Distributors and Thunder Bay Winery
For competitors, there will also be some changes, including additional awards given than in years’ past– and with cash prizes. Those attending the event as tasters will receive 10 tickets with admission and be able to distribute them as they wish for Best Chili and Best Chowder. A panel of judges will determine the other categories.
- Best in Show ($250)
- Best Chili ($200) (popular vote)
- Best Chowder ($200) (popular vote)
- Most Creative Recipe ($100)
- Most Spirited ($50)
Those interested in participating in the event or getting more information can view and download the registration packet at the link below. Any group, organization, individual, or professional is welcome to participate!
Anne Gentry wrote this article and is the Executive Director of the Alpena DDA. Bring on the chowdah.