Written by Kingsli | October 2, 2020
Autumn in Downtown Alpena is usually a fun and busy, busy time. There’s Sunrise Suds Tap Takeover, Thunder Bay Winery’s Harvest Festival, the DDA’s Chili & Chowder Cook-off, Bard at the Bar with Thunder Bay Theatre and tons of other fun events and activities.
This year, Autumn downtown is looks a little different, and here are some ideas of what you can still enjoy downtown:
- Get mulled wine or warm harvest apple wine from Thunder Bay Winery
- Try your favorite fall drinks at Cabin Creek Coffee or Biggby Coffee
- Get a cute new fall outfit from Myers’ Fashions or Alpena Vintage Company
- Find some great new fall decor at Rusty Petunias Marketplace or Traveling Ladders.
- Pick out a spooky new book or comic from Parallel 45 Books and Gifts or Bob’s Bullpen, maybe pick something that will pair well with your favorite warm drink offering in downtown?)
- Check out the changing leaves on Chisholm and Second Avenue and along the Maritime Heritage Trail.
- Grab a Guinness or Oktoberfest beer at the Black Sheep Pub
- Order one of the delicious soups at the Fresh Palate
- Savor the last warm-ish days with a fall bike ride through Downtown (and try our new bike rack located on the corner of 2nd Avenue and Carter Street!)
- Check out Classic Designs by Doreen on a Saturday morning and grab a fall bouquet or some baked goods.
- Pick up a beautiful new leather journal, wallet, bag or other handmade leather goods from Chippewa Valley Mercantile and Leatherworks.
Kingsli Kraft wrote this article for Blog Downtown Alpena. Kingsli is an Alpena native and a graduate of the University of Michigan. She now works at the Alpena Downtown Development Authority as the Marketing and Outreach Coordinator. She volunteers on Thunder Bay Theatre’s Board of Directors and is a dedicated advocate for the arts and environment. She enjoys reading, writing, yoga, hiking, caring for all of her plants and all things coffee. You can follow her on Instagram here.