May is here, and the calendar is already filling up! Here’s what’s happening in downtown over the next two weekends.
What to do this weekend:
1. Run or walk Thunder Bay Theatre’s second annual Break a Leg 5k. Saturday, May 6. Come walk, come run, come enjoy the pure drama of the race! Registration begins at 8 am at the theater, race begins at 9 am along the Alpena bi-path. For details, visit here.
2. Tailgate afterwards at Take 5 Deli. Not a runner? Do you crave Take 5 on Saturdays?! Come tailgate! From 10 am- 2pm, food will be served both at inside and outside seating in the parking lot! Portions of proceeds benefit Thunder Bay Theatre.
3. Attend Myer’s Spring Fashion Show. Held at the Fletcher Depot on Saturday May 6, Myer’s Fashion will be showing off their spring collection. Doors open at 11:30 am and lunch, provided by As You Wish, will begin at noon. Tickets $18 with lunch included. Ticket info here.
4. Sip tea at Trinity Episcopal’s annual Victorian Tea. Tea times at both 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Wear your Sunday best! Call 989-356-0576 for full information.
5. Listen to the Thunder Bay Arts Council’s Chorus spring concert. Sunday, May 7 at 4:30 pm at the AHS Auditorium, combined choirs of over sixty voices will sing folk tunes, jazz classics, show tunes, and a variety of American popular music from over the years. Tickets are $15 for adults and free for students. Visit here for ticketing information.
Plan ahead for next weekend:
6. Check out the newly-renovated Fletcher Street Depot. On Saturday, May 13 from 2-4 pm, stop in for a grand opening celebration at Alpena’s newest event venue for weddings, grad parties, and more.
7. Get into your Sanctuary at the All-Aboard Event at the Fletcher Street Depot. On Saturday, May 13 from 7:30-10 pm, the Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary will be celebrating their first season as operators of the glass bottom boat! The event will feature food, entertainment, and a cash bar. Tickets are $45 in advance, $50 at the door and include a free ticket for the glass bottom boat ($30 value!). Information here.
8. Take your mom shopping at the Marketplace. On May 13-14, the Marketplace will have raffles, give aways, special promotions, and even live demonstrations! Grab a coffee or tea from their cafe while you browse. For full event details, click here.
9. Treat your mother to a mimosa at Thunder Bay Winery. Brunch begins Sunday, May 14 at noon. The second-annual brunch will feature fresh croissants, a fruit bar, and most importantly, mimosas. Mothers receive $2 off their first drink.
And of course keep your eyes out for other changes in downtown Alpena which are coming in May: updates to Culligan Plaza, the arrival of hanging flower baskets, the arrival of outdoor tables and chairs, announcements of summer activities and more!
Here’s hoping spring is officially here to stay.
Blog Downtown Alpena is written by Anne Gentry, who is Executive Director of the Alpena Downtown Development Authority. And who will definitely be eating a reuben at Saturday’s tailgate event.
2 thoughts on “Weekend events, this week and next”
Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop! There are always events to attend in downtown! : ) Wish I could join you for a reuben but the boys have baseball games!
How was the reuben…did you take it with you to Posen?