What’s been happening in downtown this past month?
1.As You Wish Gourmet Eatery has a new chef. Chef Reid Krebs was officially welcomed to the team this week, in addition to Chef Kevin. Make sure to stop in and see what new specials As You Wish may be cooking up. Also– they recently celebrated their two-year anniversary.
2. A new street plan is being proposed for 2nd Avenue. Based on feedback, a new design for 2nd Avenue from Chisholm to Park Place/River is going to City Council. The new proposed plan for two-way traffic would keep parking on both sides of the street (and add parking from what there is now). As it stands now, this fall 2nd Ave will move to two-way traffic but keep parking only on one side of the street. Council votes August 7. Click here for the design.
3. Thunder Bay Winery released four new wines. A dry Pino Gris, a dry Rose (perfect for summer sipping), a semi-sweet Traminette, and a dry un-oaked Marchal Foch (perfect for the approaching fall). Yum. Come try them at their release party on Wednesday, August 16 from 6-8 with live music, light bites, and wine all-around.
4. Facade work has started on the front of Alpena Furniture. Have you seen the work that’s been done on the back already? Take a walk around the building to see the stellar renovation.
5. Speaking of facades… The red wood front is being removed at 106 N. Second. The property recently received a Facade Grant from the DDA. Work is planned to begin on Monday.
6. Chowder & Chili Cook-off 2017 is in the works. Save the date Saturday October 14 and patiently await more details. The DDA is requesting your feedback on the event and what other events to plan! Click here for a short survey.
7. Thunder Bay Theatre gave their first ever band-shell performance. For the first time ever, a professional full-length Broadway musical was presented to the community for free. Need more TBT? Get your tickets to Oklahoma!.
8. Bella Rose Yoga Studio has purchased the Old Display Case. According to a FB post, they plan on offering yoga classes, a juice bar, barre, bellyfit, buti yoga, and more. Come to their grand opening on August 17 from 5:30- 8:30 pm. Event details here.
9. Country Cousins is closing. A long time iconic shop of downtown Alpena for almost fifty years will be closing its doors. No official date has been publicized.
10. Alpena has some new signage– that highlights downtown! Have you noticed new signs throughout town? Shopping, eating, resting, Oldtown, ART! Loving it.
That’s all for now folks. Hope to see you soon in downtown!
A previous version of this article suggested that Chef Reid was replacing Chef Kevin at As You Wish. This is not the case. Chef Kevin is still cooking there.
Can’t get enough of Downtown Alpena? Subscribe to the DDA’s newsletter! The newsletter is a way to get bi-weekly updates about what’s on the DDA’s agenda, notes from the Director, and info about upcoming events in downtown. Click here for a link to subscribe.
Blog Downtown Alpena is written by Anne Gentry, Executive Director of the Alpena DDA. Share this with a friend so they too can be in the loop of downtown.