Since it was just ninety degrees this last Sunday and I heard Walmart and Meijer nearly sold out of air conditioners, I think it’s safe to say that it is officially summer in Alpena, Michigan.
And that means it’s graduation party season! There are tons of awesome places to shop for gifts for your grad right downtown. Here are ten different ways to congratulate the graduate in your life, and support local businesses!
- Have you been to Rusty Petunias Marketplace yet? Stop in to buy your grad some decor for their dorm room—some throw pillows, a cute little succulent or a coffee mug!
- Grab a watermelon or lavender gift box at Soaps and Such to make a spa or relaxation basket for your grad to use when school gets stressful and they need to take a break, and take care of themselves. Or make your own laundry care package for them!
- Head over to the Local Basket Case to pick up a Michigan sweatshirt or mug. Or snag a couple of laptop stickers to add to your card to remind your grad of home when they’re pulling all nighters trying to finish that paper, or study for that exam.
- Gift your grad some local art to decorate their dorm or apartment, and remind them a bit of home from Art in the Loft, Forty Five North Art Gallery, or Thunder Bay Arts Council.
- Stop into Bob’s Bullpen to get your grad a comic featuring their favorite hero or heroine to read when they need a break from all the technical jargon, or their 18th Century English Literature readings or a Batman or Wonder Woman statue to decorate their dorm.
- Check out Bolenz Jewelry to get your graduate something that will last them forever, and always remind them of you, a ring, a necklace, or maybe a watch so they know how much time they to finish their exam.
- Our Front Porch is another place where you can find some one-of-a-kind wall decor for your graduate’s dorm.
- You could also stop into Master’s Shoes to gift your grad some new sneakers, boots, or sandals that will keep them comfortable while they walk to all their classes.
- Get them the next book in their favorite series, or something else to enjoy during their bus ride to class or when they need a study break at Blue Phoenix Books
- If all else fails, and you still want to support local downtown businesses, but you still don’t know what to get your grad, stop into the DDA, Chamber of Commerce or Bolenz Jewelry and grab them some Downtown Dollars that they can use at any downtown business of their choosing!
Kingsli Kraft wrote this article for Blog Downtown Alpena. Follow her on Instagram here.