1.Start the day off with a bloody mary or mimosa at Fresh Palate. From 9 am- 3 pm, the Palate will have build-your-own bars for both beverages. Grab a breakfast burrito or bowl while you’re at it.
2. Catch the parade as it’s going through Downtown Alpena. The parade begins at 11 am at the fair grounds and ends at the Marine Sanctuary. Come early to get a good spot to watch it go down Chisholm St. and Second Ave.
3. Enjoy live music in the alley. From 9 am- 3 pm, the alley next to the Center Building will become the Freedom Alley and will have live music by the Bombay Runners and Blood Money Men. The Fresh Palate will also be serving food and drinks in the alley.
4. Treat yourself at As You Wish Gourmet Eatery. They will be stocked all day with grab and go wraps and bowls, as well as bubble tea, hand squeezed-lemonade, and cold brew coffee.
5. Shop downtown. Shopping on the fourth? You bet! Rusty Petunias Marketplace will be open and offering 10% off anything red white and blue, and their neighbors Local Basket Case will also be open 9 am- 4 pm.
6. Stop by the 18th Annual Maritime Fest. Live music, whitefish sandwiches, food trucks, demonstrations and more will be happening at the Maritime Heritage Center from 10 am- 4 pm. This year, it’s also a Certified Local Event, which means you can feel good about their commitment to supporting local food systems.
7. Watch the Cardboard Boat Regatta. Who will sink? Who will swim? Who will have the most dramatic sinking? Come by the Maritime Fest for the races, which kick off around 2 pm.
8. Have happy hour at Thunder Bay Winery. The winery will be open until 6 pm on the Fourth and will be serving up their new Pinot Grigio or cranberry fizz cocktail. If you’re in the sangria mood, stop by Black Sheep Pub.
9. Last call at the Owl Restaurant. The iconic downtown stop announced yesterday it is moving to a new location. Come toast to the Owl with $3 bottled beer, $2 drafts, and $2 mixed drinks in honor of their last day.
10. Recharge for the fireworks at Biggby Coffee. If you haven’t been to the new Biggby downtown, now’s your chance– they’ll be open till 9 pm for all your caffeine needs.
Have a safe and happy fourth– and hope to see you downtown!
Anne Gentry writes for Blog Downtown Alpena. Show the blog some love by sharing with a friend– and following us on facebook.