It is the height of summer still in Alpena, Michigan. You can feel the energy downtown as everyone rushes to enjoy these next few weeks before school starts up again and the air cools.
On Sundays, the energy of our bustling little downtown quiets a bit, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t plenty to do downtown still. So here are fifteen things to do downtown on any Sunday!
- Party hard last night? Stop in at the Black Sheep and enjoy one of their delicious bloody marys at their bloody mary bar.
- Enjoy a dish of raspberry sorbet with rainbow sprinkes, or if you’re feeling fancy, have a banana split at Downtown Scoops!
- If you haven’t already, check out Biggby Coffee, downtown Alpena’s newest coffee shop, and try one of their sweet treats!
- Catch a movie at the historic AMC State Theater, this week showing The Meg, Mile 22, and Christopher Robin.
- Grab an early breakfast or late lunch at the CIA Restaurant!
- Explore the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center and learn all about the shipwrecks in and around Thunder Bay and the history of our little piece of Lake Huron.
- Order a glass of wine and take a seat outside to soak up this last little bit of summer at Thunder Bay Winery.
- Need a boost of energy? Try one of the signature drinks at Cabin Creek Coffee or grab a bag of locally roasted coffee.
- Start your week off the right way with a Recovery Yoga class at Bella Rose Yoga & Fitness Studio at 3:00pm, if that’s not your thing, check their schedule to see if they’re offering any other classes.
- Stop by JJ’s Steak and Pizza House to enjoy a delicious brunch with the whole family!
- Meander through Art in the Loft to appreciate and purchase some local artwork.
- Check out the Local Basket Case and try on some apparel to rep Alpena, Michigan and the Great Lakes!
- Pack a picnic and a blanket and relax and take advantage of the summer weather in Avery Park or Culligan Plaza!
- Grab dinner and drinks in the historic beer garden at John A. Lau Saloon open 4:00pm-9:00pm on Sundays during the summer.
- Follow this link to a calendar of local events to see what other special events might be going on in the neighborhood!
Kingsli Kraft wrote this article for Blog Downtown Alpena. Kingsli is a recent graduate from University of Michigan with a degree in Human Ecology. She enjoys reading, writing, yoga, caring for all of her plants and trying new recipes. You can follow her on Instagram here.